- American goalkeepers abroad had an interesting week. Brad Friedel was in goal for a 1-0 loss against FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk but had a number of saves to keep it at only one goal, which was a penalty kick.
- And then Howard has a nice double save that makes Sportscenter's Top 10 while later in the match he bats a ball into his own net :(
- Very quickly on Howard's goal, it's easy to villainize him and forget all the good saves he had in the game. So let's not do that. This situation is one that most goalkeepers will struggle with. The free kick is a quasi shot-pass that not only can be redirected on frame but can be left to go backpost. Yes, Howard should have done better as he gets his palm to the ball but this isn't a slow roller that goes through his legs. John Terry, who is credited with the goal, is crashing in and Howard has to make one decision from multiple options in a split second. Which leads us into our EPL's Top Five Saves of the Week. Look at the part of the hand Howard makes the double save and the howler. Same part: the palm.
- Jeff Bradley had a nice interview with Tony Meola. They talk hall of fame, current MLS, Meola's son choosing baseball over soccer, and where Meola is now.
- MLS Preseason Watch is going strong. Lots of competition within nearly every camp!
- Jon Kempin is looking forward to another loan to a USL Pro side. Sounds like he'll end up in OKC or Orlando City. This is a great deal for both sides as Kempin has a high ceiling but isn't quite ready for MLS action.
- A little late to the party but Portland Timbers goalkeeper Milos Kocic retired.
- We Global Football was very nice to give my site a nod. If you're interested in rankings and predictions on the international scene be sure to scour their site.
- Ryan Meara hasn't been training but only because he twisted it in training. Hopefully he returns soon. NYRB seem committed to Meara.
- U17 Mexican-American goalkeeper Abraham Romero has been seen with Mexico's U17s recently.
- Sammy Badr is set to start for Oklahoma City Energy FC, the new USL Pro club.
- John McCarthy, who I profiled back in January, signed with the Rochester Rhinos.
- Tampa Bay Rowdies would-be starter tore his Achilles' tendon. Best of luck in his recovery.
- Brian Billings was training with the Chicago Fire.
- Kevin Silva and the U17s beat USF 2-0 or so he says...
- Jon Arnold wrote about Chris Sheridan playing in Honduras. I really like the end quote,
“It’s a really competitive level and I’m really enjoying it here,” he said “It was basically, do I want to take a year or two out and try to pursue this dream of playing professionally and see if I can do it as a career? If I can’t hack it, then at the very least I know I tried. I did as well as I could in the sport, and then I’ll go get a big boy job somewhere.”
- Larry Jackson and Michael Abalos have competing for the third string spot at Chivas USA. I personally like Abalos more but could definitely see Chivas USA signing Jackson based on his athleticism.
Big Soccer links
- Your most bizarre soccer-related idea/thought/opinion
- Biggest blunder/"C'mon man" moment in USMNT history?
- An American goalkeeper named Matthew (Mateusz) Korziewicz is at a Polish club called ZKS Izolator. I'm not sure what tier they're in but I'm fairly sure it's not the top two.
- A high school goalkeeper might have some opportunities in Mexico.
Lastly, various fun pictures for the crew. There are two pictures from the USA-Yugoslavia 1998 World Cup game where Brad Friedel keeps a corner from going into the goal. It wasn't called a goal but it is really close.